This station will be used for future passenger train service
85 Depot Street
Portions of the city of Marion freight depot and train station may have originally been constructed in 1868, according to historic photographs. This would make it the only existing original station structure of the Western North Carolina Railroad Company. It has been modified several times, but most of the original brick construction remains. Historic photographs and the detailed descriptions contained within the 1916 Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) Valuation Report allowed the freight depot to be restored to its 1916 appearance. In 1952 a modern brick passenger station was added to the freight depot. The passenger station addition was thoroughly renovated as well.
Project Overview: HagerSmith Design of Raleigh completed the design phase in mid 2003. Renovation work began in September 2003, and was completed in May 2005.
The station now serves as Marion's visitors center, concert hall, meeting room, and headquarters for Downtown Economic Development Association. It will return to passenger train use when funding is secured for operation of Western NC Passenger Rail Service.