|High Point Station
100 W. High Avenue
Building Description: Built in 1907 by the Southern Railway, High Point's station is an excellent example of Richardson Romanesque architecture. The station lies in the heart of High Point and is located at street level with the tracks and platform situated 30 feet below in an open cut. The station was completely rehabilitated, and rededicated in December 2003.
The High Point Station rehabilitation project was a Merit Award Winner in the 2004 Federal Highway Administration's Excellence in Highway Design Awards Program recognizing outstanding examples of highways, bridges, pedestrian facilities, roadside facilities, and other facets of roadway design.
Future Project: NCDOT has completed construction drawings for slope stabilization walls, landscaping, and additional much-needed parking spaces along High Avenue. The project was included in NCDOT's application for ARRA funding and is estimated to cost $2,036,500.